FROM HUMBLE BEGINNINGS
It all started with a public meeting in 1972 when a small group of families came together with an optimistic shared vision for independent schooling on the North Shore. The closure of St Anne's School in Takapuna had left a vacuum for parents who believed that an independent education would best guarantee that every child's individual talents would be recognised and nurtured.
Within three months the fledgling Kristin School was open for classes with a roll of 42 in Campbells Bay. Within five years this number had grown to 235 and the school moved to Albany. This rapid growth has continued over the years, with classes expanding to cover Kindergarten through to Year 13. In 1990 the roll exceeded 1000 for the first time, reaching a capped height of 1600 in 2006.
From such humble beginnings, with just a handful of small classrooms, Kristin has grown into a North Shore icon, with a state-of-the-art campus featuring modern, innovative learning environments and some of the best sporting facilities in Auckland. Amidst the new modern buildings and beautifully established gardens, those early days are still visible. The Junior School Village pays homage to the many students who have passed through the gates, each with their own story of how Kristin shaped their schooling experience.
THE KAURI CLUB
One group to whom the Kristin community are very grateful are those foundation parents and friends who were instrumental in delivering the first Kristin School classroom in 1973 and whose commitment and vision has made a huge contribution to its growth and success today.
The Kauri Club was established as a way to acknowledge those individuals who have been associated with Kristin since its inception. This way they always remain a part of the school, they can keep up with the school's development and remain in touch with each other.
In addition to those foundation parents, membership of Kristin's Kauri Club is extended to all past Board members and Principals plus parents, staff and friends whose service to the school exceeds twenty years.
ST ANNE'S SCHOOL, 1932-1972
Between 1932 and 1972 a steady stream of children passed through the doors of St Anne's, a small independent school, situated right on the beach in the heart of Takapuna. When the school was closed in 1972 a group of parents came together to build a new school offering quality education with a strong foundation in community and service. This was Kristin School, and over 40 years on, the school continues to hold true the values of this small group of individuals.
The Kristin Archives is home to a vast collection of St Anne's material that can be accessed by contacting our Alumni Manager.
Available to view by appointment, the Kristin archives offer a rich and interesting insight into the years gone by at Kristin. Any members of our Kristin community who would like to donate artefacts to the archives are welcome to contact us to discuss your options further.
The Kristin archives include a variety of documents, photos and memories of St Anne's School in Takapuna. St Anne's Alumni are welcome to view these, or contribute your own records to the collection. Please contact our Alumni Manager for for more information.